Now that you have a custom fit mouthguard, you want to make sure you’re looking after it correctly so that it lasts a long time, continues to protect your teeth and stays clean. You can do this by following these simple steps.
- When your custom fit mouthguard is not in your mouth, always keep it in a protective case, one that is free from moisture (as moisture encourages bacterial growth).
- Ensure your custom fit mouthguard is not left in direct sunlight or high temperatures as this may distort the material and affect it’s fit.
- Do not chew on your custom fit mouthguard. Again, this may change the shape and fit and even cause tears in your mouthguard.
- Before and after each use, rinse your custom fit mouthguard with cold or lukewarm water, never hot.
- After each wear, make sure you clean your custom fit mouthguard with either cold or lukewarm soapy water or a non-alcoholic mouthwash and a toothbrush and allow it to air-dry before putting it back in its case.
- Ensure your mouth is free from food and plaque before wearing your custom fit mouthguard.
Over time your custom fit mouthguard will loosen and may become uncomfortable. If you are concerned about the fit or find it not staying in your mouth during wear, it may be time for a new one.